THREE REASONS WHY I MUST STUDY MYSELF
Preparing to Study
Studying like learning is different from reading because it requires a deliberate effort of taking note of key words, phrases or sentences to help you understand what you are reading. It requires meditation, retention and if possible application of what is read to everyday life to help you retain it.
Before you commence learning you need to note the following;
1. Say a prayer because God gives understanding
2. Follow a drawn plan [you should have a personal learning time table], you must not learn many subjects within a given period or day, you could study two a day
3. Get enough sleep and food before studying. Eating properly can have an amazing impact on your body and mind. A good night’s sleep will affect you similarly. Make sure you take time to sleep well each night and when you wake up, eat a hearty and nutritious breakfast but make sure you don’t get too satisfied
4. Get a study place. It is important to have uninterrupted study time. You may choose to learn in a classroom, on your bed, library etc the important thing is to make sure the Place is free from distractions.
Again be sure your study place is not too comfortable or uncomfortable because a chair that is not comfortable can cause discomfort or pain that will interfere with your studying and a chair that is too comfortable might make you sleepy. Select a chair in which you can sit for long periods while maintaining your attention
Also be sure there’s enough light in that study place. The important thing is to be sure you can clearly see what you need to see without any strain or discomfort.
Be sure your study place is not too warm or too cold, if your Study Place is too cold, you might become sleepy, if it is too warm, your thinking may slow down and become unclear. Select a temperature at which your mind and body function best.
5. Get all the materials you need to study with you; don’t run round for them during the study. Egs of materials pencil, ruler etc
NB: Do keep a spare sheet, if possible a plain sheet to help you test yourself on what you will study
NB; Children have to be educated, but they have also to be left to educate themselves. ~Abbé Dimnet, Art of Thinking, 1928
Next Self Awareness